If you pay rent for a commercial property (or part of a commercial property) as your business premises, you can claim a credit on the rent you pay, provided the lessor is registered for GST. However, you cannot claim a credit if you rent or pay the mortgage on residential premises (i.e. your family home) because there’s no GST included in the price you pay.
Articles in this section
- Airtax Logbook
- Why use Airtax for your BAS?
- Income and expense treatment in BAS and income tax returns
- Speak to a Tax Agent about your BAS
- What is Other Income?
- Can you claim GST on your motor vehicle registration?
- Tax treatment for hire cars
- Common BAS mistakes
- How to do a BAS
- How to set-up an ABN