If GST is included in the price you pay for expenses related to your business, you may claim a GST credit. This is claimed in your business activity statement (BAS) or annual GST return.
The following conditions must be met for claiming GST credits:
- you must have a tax invoice for purchases that cost more than $82.50 inclusive of GST;
- the supplier must be registered for GST; and
- a claim is made within four years.
- Can I claim my garage, uniform etc?
You cannot claim running expenses associated with your personal garage however, you may claim fees paid for parking your car in a garage during the course of your work.
You may claim uniform expenses if your rideshare platform requires you to purchase a company uniform or if you purchase safety wear such as hi-visibility clothing.
You cannot claim the following items as an expense:
- personal clothing or shoes
- driver’s licence